Sunday, February 7, 2010

Wheelchair Protest

I ride my bicycle into DC, down into the U street area near Ben's Chili Bowl. I stop across the street from the internet cafe that I want to get lunch at. When I go to lock my bike to the street sign, I realize I left my other bike here from last time, and I need to lock that up too. There is already a third bike locked to the sign I usually use. It's secured to the sign with a bike chain (as in, the chain for the gears). I stand there for a while trying to figure out how to lock my two bikes to the third bike so that the other bike can still be unlocked and ridden away. Then a bunch of people in wheelchairs (most of them motorized) come down the street in the bicycle lane. They are all dressed up in black suits. They are protesting the way that people on wheel chairs are treated on city streets. The light turns red and they all stop, and some guy starts walking down the line haranguing them. He's asking the wheelchair people if they would behave this way if they were at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment